@5410Africa Weekly Travel Update #11: Spitzkoppe, Swakopmund, Skeleton Coast and the Shipwreck lodge
Its been an amazing last couple of weeks. I managed to get a lot of work done on the car and spent more than 2000kms on the road exploring Namibia’s coastal areas. This started with a night at the Spitzkoppe Mountain Tented camp, followed by a few nights in Swakopmund and the drive up the infamous Skeleton Coast. I’ll do an individual post for each of these magnificent locations, I just feel that they deserve that much.
But just to tease here is a few pics of each of the destinations.
Unfortunately, this also marks the end of my travel period as I entered quarantine on Sunday to head offshore for my usual 5 week stint. I’ll keep you updated on my intentions for the next shore leave. What I have realised with the Corona virus is that travelling in the near future will be slow and to be patient. Its not good for a guy that wants to complete the entire Africa in 10 years, but this is the reality we are facing for now.
It was great to add another 2000km plus on the odometer of the Hilux. It behaved extremely well as I tested it on gravel, sand and the Namibia’s lovely beaches. No problem at all and going on this experience I cannot foresee any problems in the rest of Africa. I managed to get a lot done, but the wish list remains long, it will be done soon:
- Suspension with shocks (reliability & driving comfort)
- Winch (for safety)
- Upgrade lights (for safety)
- Fitted awning (provide shade when there are no trees around ie the desert)
- Drawer system (better and more organized storage in the back)
- Dual battery system with solar charging (supply electricity off the grid locations)
- Shock absorbers (old ones not good enough and provide more support to original suspension)
- Tires (but only once the current tires are worn)
More exciting news, currently Im swimming in the euphoria from excessive levels of dopamine. Im in a good place and all the love shown by those online is keeping me on the high J I finally managed to breach 1k on Twitter, Insta is growing steadily and off course the knowledge that we’ll be launching YouTube very soon… During the following weeks I’l be posting about by recent trip to and adventures along the Namibian coast.
- Twitter @5410Africa 250k (current: 1040)
- Instagram @5410Africa 100k (current: 167)
- WordPress (5410africa.com) 1k (current: 42)
- YouTube (first videos in Dec) 100k
That’s all folks! Please connect, enjoy your travels and stay safe 🙂
Nick from Namibia @5410Africa