The Namib desert, Swakopmund.
Swakopmund is Namibia’s premier holiday destination and definitely not boring. Because of its unique location nestled between the cold Atlantic Ocean and the warm sandy Namib Desert it affords a myriad of attractions and activities. These range from fishing and lounging on the beach to more extreme activities such as skydiving and dune boarding. It’s the latter that has earned Swakopmund the title as Namibia’s adventure capital.
One of these activities is the very exclusive opportunity of quad biking in the Namib Desert. It is one of the best ways to explore and enjoy the desert and allows for amazing photo opportunities. It is an adventure that I would recommend to all visitors to Swakopmund, so if you have a morning or afternoon free it is a must do.
- Swakopmund is a 350km drive from Windhoek
- There are various quad bike operators. i.e. namibiadesertexplorers.com & daredeviladventures.com
- They are situated on the B2 road between Swakopmund and Walvis bay
- Various packages starting from about N$350/hour depending on the operator
- Book online or call. Payment upon arrival.
On arrival choose your bike, either automatic or manual, select your package and declare your experience level. Your experience will determine the approach taken by your guide. Don’t be afraid if you are a novice, the guides are extremely experienced and adapt to each group they take out. Complete your paperwork, payment and proceed to the bikes. The guide gives a short brief on safety and operations of the bike and you’re good to go.
The tour itself is pretty easy. All you need is to follow the guide and his instructions. You are taken out on a predetermined route which guarantees a bit of adventure, excitement and amazing photo opportunities. It also guarantees that only certain sections of the desert is used and the remainder is protected. Make use of the many opportunities to have fun, but follow instructions at all times. This I learned the hard way after an innocent rolling of my quad 🙂 Fortunately no harm was caused to either me or the bike.
This is a must do activity and highly recommended when visiting Swakopmund. It is one of the most unique ways to explore the Namib and the family and friends will be envious of the pics. Many many Instagram moments. It is affordable, fun and accommodates the entire family.
- The maximum you should go for is about 1-2 hours after that it gets repetitive, except of course if you are going for a sundowner or breakfast run.
- Many of the companies offer a free pick up service which saves money on having to use a taxi
- Book directly, operators add quite a bit. Also check online, many of them do not even require booking
- Take a good camera, there will be ample photo opportunities.